In recent years, Finnish opera has experienced a new rise, as more and more domestic premieres have seen the light of day. Thanks for that belongs not only to the Finnish National Opera, but above all to a very active independent field of opera. The members of the field have also done a meritorious work in highlighting old, almost forgotten domestic operas.
The concert, hosted by Jukka Nykänen, goes through the history of Finnish opera all the way from its beginnings to the present day. The concert includes arias and excerpts from well-known and lesser-known Finnish operas. It gives a closer look at the origins of the pieces, the stylistic motives, and the reasons that have led to their popularity or oblivion.
The concert is held in a café area of the upper foyer at the Alexander Theatre, where the audience can enjoy light savoury and sweet delicacies during the concert. The ticket price includes both a concert and a small buffet.
Jukka Nykänen is the host and pianist of the concert, accompanied by a soprano Annika Leino and baritone Sampo Haapaniemi.
The concert features music from composers such as Fredrik Pacius, Erkki Melartin, Aarre Merikanto, Leevi Madetoja, Tauno Pylkkänen, Aulis Sallinen, Joonas Kokkonen, Einojuhani Rautavaara and Kari Tikka.
Menu of the Cocktail concert (in Finnish):
- Pieni Västerbotten-tomaattiquiche (l)
- Toast Skagen (m)
- Leipärulla piparjuurihärästä & hillotusta omenasta (m)
- Kahvi/tee & Sitruunajuustokakkua kupissa (l)
The ticket sale will end 29.8. A query about special diet will be sent to the customer a day before the concert.
- Sat 21.8. at 16-17.30 Alexander Theatre, Upper foyer, Bulevardi 23-27, 00180 Helsinki
- The show is cancelled. More information about the ticket returns: https://help.ticketmaster.fi/hc/en-us/articles/360006469714-How-do-I-return-tickets-if-the-event-is-cancelled-
- Sat 4.9. at 12-13.30 Alexander Theatre, Upper foyer, Bulevardi 23-27, 00180 Helsinki
1h 30min, including intermission